Thursday, January 22, 2009

Twitter and Position Postings

I enjoy using Twitter.  I have my professional account and my private one.  I'm not prolific on the professional one since I mostly use it to follow others in the industry but I do post a bit on the private one.

Today I was checking into LinkedIn.com for the first time in a while and noticed that one of the members of the Philadelphia Technology Group was experimenting with Twitter.  Jason Martin is a recruiter at Apex Systems, Inc.  He's in my network at LinkedIn but I've only spoken with him via email once.  I've never worked with him.

Jason has been Twittering his position opportunities for the past month.  So far I see 16 postings.  Perhaps this is standard practice in the recruiting industry but it was new to me.  But I didn't begin to follow Jason on Twitter.  

As I said before I have a couple Twitter accounts.  What I've found in both of them is that the tweets pass by pretty quickly and I only check my Twitter accounts once or twice a day.  So I probably miss a lot of what is being said on the Twitter stream.

The great thing about the internet today is that information is available in many forms.  So instead of following Jason I grabbed his Twitter feed.  Now I can check Jason's new job postings whenever I please without wondering if I have the most recent ones.

This isn't rocket science by any means but it might provide a reminder to people who just 'don't get' this Twitter stuff but understand an RSS feed.  I think it is time to look around Twitter some more and see what else is being offered.  Maybe that next great opportunity is just a Tweet away!


1 comment:

jmartin said...

Mark,
I discovered your post about Twitter and the account that I have. I appreciate the credit, and wanted to thank you for the posting. If you want to reach out and discuss Twitter, just let me know. I welcome everyone to follow my Twitter job postings and connect with me on LinkedIn. Have a great weekend.

Jason R. Martin
Professional Recruiter
Apex Systems, Inc.
jmartin@apexsystemsinc.com
http://www.apexsystemsinc.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jasonrmartin
http://twitter.com/jasonrmartin